[NAFEX] one year wood apples

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Thu Apr 29 00:00:40 EDT 2010

Tree pruned in January 2009.  Grew many new shoots.  Now, in April 2010
the shoots are blooming.  The difference is that while other apples may
bloom at 4 -6 buds (about 20% of the buds, at most)  on a 3 foot one
year  shoot, over 90 to 95% of the buds  on the red crab shoots have
flower clusters.  And even with the huge load of apples that gives, the
tree never goes biennial.
I have plenty of apples that produce *some* blooms on one year shoots,
but that crab is leagues ahead of them.  Nor are the fruits tiny,
useless things.  Most are large enough to eat out of hand.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
Grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short,
low resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
A video about The Grape Grower :