[NAFEX] Sunchokes

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Thu Sep 17 07:13:42 EDT 2009

On Sep 17, 2009, at 12:13 AM, Kieran &/or Donna wrote:

> I'd like the recipe too.  I think that the only reason neglected
> sunchokes
> would die out would be if voles got into them and ate them all up.
> that
> could happen in a drought as werious as the Tennessee Valley in the
> late
> 80's, when ours nearly died out.  I'd think that loose easy to dig
> soil
> would make it easier for the voles to get them all.  We have two
> varieties,
> a long white one and a round red one.  The red one runs half or less
> the
> size of the white, and is really really hard to get rid of.  Little
> roots
> the size of my thumbnail are all it takes to start plants next
> year.   Donna

What counts as "neglect"?  My dad grew sunchokes.  He cared about them
the first couple of years, and then sort of lost interest.  So he
ignored the patch except that every fall he dug it up and harvested
everything he could find.  Every spring, it came back like
gangbusters.  He finally got rid of it by pulling every one that
sprouted in the spring (after having removed every tuber he could find
in the fall.)  I think he did that for 2 years and them had a sunchoke-
free patch again.

Ginda