[NAFEX] quince

Anton Callaway marillen at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 16 07:03:28 EDT 2009

Jay,

It could be a lot of things, including:
Is the tree very vigorous?  (possible nitrogen excess) How many inches of growth has it been putting on each year?
Is the tree shaded for a significant part of the day? (possible insufficient light for good fruit bud formation)
Do you have strong dry winds during bloom?

And even though some quinces are self-pollenizing, I've often wondered if other cultivars are not.  I don't claim to be a quince expert by any stretch of the imagination, but after staying at a Holiday Inn Express, I began to wonder if my 'Lisle Special' needed a pollenizer.  Only after my 'Aromatnaya' begin blooming did the 'Lisle Special' set fruit.

Anton
Zone 8, North Carolina Piedmont