[NAFEX] Sunchokes now "Yacon"

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Tue Sep 15 12:35:04 EDT 2009

Do you cook yacon?  I think of it as a raw veg.

~ Stephen

From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of John S
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2009 7:40 PM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sunchokes now "Yacon"

Those of you who like sunchokes may also want to try yacon.  A relative of
sunchoke that is substantially more productive, it does not tolerate
freezing and thus cannot be invasive in colder climates.  While opinions
vary, I much prefer the taste of yacon over sunchoke, although both are
good.  I pull up volunteer sunchoke plants in my garden but plant yacon
every year. An easy, highly productive plant here in zone 5, unbothered by
disease or insects.

I usually have a few extra plants left over in the spring, for those that
might want to give it a try.  Please contact me in late may if intersted.

John