[NAFEX] Oiling figs; searching Pomona?

Bassem Samaan bassem at gardener.com
Thu Sep 10 10:25:44 EDT 2009

Oiling figs is a very common practice in the middle east. The vendors who
are so eager to have their figs first in the market will oil their figs
at the end of june or begining of july. They get up to 2 to 3 weeks ahead
than the average ripening time. I have tried oiling here in Pennsylvania
with varied success. I have applied olive oil using cotton on the outter
skin. The fig have to be almost full size, and the weather has to be
warm. Some may apply oil at the end of summer, that will work only if the
sun is still sharp enough to warm the oil on the fig.  Bass Samaanzone 6,
pawww.treesofjoy.com