[NAFEX] Sudden Apricot Death Syndrome?

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Wed Sep 2 00:36:15 EDT 2009

If you peeled the bark off near that gummy spot, you'd likely find the
cambium dead all the way   around the trunk.  That kind of gummosis is
common in the NW.  It grows during the cool, wet weather of spring,
then dries up in the summer.  If can girdle limbs and trunks 3 inches
or so in  diameter or less, and makes oozing cankers on larger diameter
wood of susceptible trees.  The old treatment was to cut out the canker
and paint the wound.
	The disease is most common on apricots, peaches, European plums, and
some American and hybrids.  Also on Prunus tomentosa (bush cherry) and
P. besseyi, the Sand Cherry of the plains.
	You can replant in the same hole.  The disease is spread through the
air.  Serious spraying and resistant varieties are your best bets.
-Lon Rombough
short, low resolution clip here:
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
A video about The Grape Grower :