[NAFEX] developing hardy trees

Anton Callaway marillen at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 25 06:28:04 EDT 2009

243 crosses?  The real answer is that it depends.  I'm assuming that all the 9 genes are unlinked and there is no epistasis.  Even so, to do the calculation one would need additional information such as whether the favorable allele is dominant or recessive (let's not mention semi-dominant or epigenetic effects to keep things simple).  Also, how are the alleles distributed between the parents?  Can all the favorable alleles be found in two parents or are they distributed across 9?  If the favorable allele is dominant, then we also need to know whether it exists in the candidate parent in the homozygous or heterozygous state.  (If the favorable allele is recessive, then it must be homozygous).  Also, keep in mind that many crosses are made just to answer these questions.  So, in the end- you are right, Jerry, it can take a >lot< of crosses to combine many favorable alleles into a single progeny by conventional breeding.

Theoretically, it would be much faster to use a transgenic approach.  However, the main limitation with that approach is one has to know beforehand >exactly< which alleles contribute to the trait and whether they are acting through a gain-of-function or loss-of-function on a molecular basis (though these terms generally equate with the genetic terms of dominant and recessive, respectively).  It can take significant research efforts to answer those questions.  So, in some cases, transgenic approaches can take longer than conventional breeding to achieve the desired phenotype.

Anton