[NAFEX] solarizing soil

david.maxwell at dal.ca david.maxwell at dal.ca
Sun Oct 18 14:16:49 EDT 2009

There is an interesting wrinkle to this.  It is quite possible to grow very fine sweet potatoes in
Northern climes, (I am in Canadian Zone 5) by using clear plastic in the early spring to warm
the soil, and planting the sweet potato slips through slits made in the plastic as soon as the
soil reaches 60 degrees.  I did this this past year in a bed which had a fair amount of what we
call twitch grass.  Not only did the plastic solarise the twitch grass out of existence, but the
sweet potatoes thrived, making tubers under the plastic while the green tops spread above.
(If any members want further information on growing sweet potatoes in the North, contact me
off line.  This really is outside the mandate of Fruit Explorers (unless one is prepared to
stretch the definition of a fruit unreasonably))