[NAFEX] Cornus mas

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Thu May 28 16:18:41 EDT 2009

That matches my limited experience, thanks!

I make liqueurs, but don't use much fresh fruit.  I get a better flavor with
dried, in most cases.  I hadn't thought to try a C mas liqueur, and don't
have the easy access I used to - but now that you've put the idea in my
mind.

~ Stephen

From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Lon J. Rombough
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2009 12:41 PM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cornus mas

Don't know if I'd call it bletting. It's more of a reducing of the acid. The
fruit seems to be best after it falls from the tree and sits for a day or
so. It's still a fresh fruit, but the acid has decreased, making it sweeter
and less astringent. I've read that in eastern Europe such "after ripened"
fruit is selected for making a liquer that is highly prized.
-Lon Rombough
NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short,
low resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
http://www.bunchgrapes.com Winner of the Garden Writers Association "Best