[NAFEX] Cornus mas

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Thu May 28 15:34:11 EDT 2009

I hadn't heard about bletting before preserving. Does everyone here who
makes C mas preserves do that?  Is the process and result the same as with
Medlar - or do they dry more?

~ Stephen

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of mIEKAL aND
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2009 7:19 AM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cornus mas

I have many unselected (from Bear Creek) Cornus mas that reliably bear
fruit heavily every year without fail.  As long as you allow them to
become bletted they make tremendous preserves, & all my eastern
european friends go crazy over the preserves.  Mine all took about 4-5
years to begin bearing.  They do get a bit of anthracnose on the trees
but it doesn't seem to effect the vigor of the trees.

I'm in z4b SW Wisconsin.

~mIEKAL