[NAFEX] chewed cord

Mark Angermayer hangermayer at isp.com
Mon May 25 22:04:14 EDT 2009

Michelle,

I'm not an electrician, but have wired houses, commercial property, and underground/wet applications.  By the book, a connection exposed to water is supposed to be wrapped first with rubber tape, then electrical tape, then coated with Scotch Cote (sp?).  There is also a kit that can be obtained at a hardware store that you can put over the connection and heat it with a torch and it shrinks and seals the connection.  Power companies use a kit that involves a two part resin that is mixed and poured in a mold around the connection to make it water tight.

I've seen several water wells connections made by simply wrapping regular electrical tape very tightly around the connection, without any additional sealant whatever.  Vinyl electrical tape isn't supposed to be water-proof but it seems to work, if wrapped tight enough.  However, considering there is a risk of electrical shock, I would probably coat the connection with Scotch Cote, or get one of the kits.

Mark
KS