[NAFEX] biennial bearing

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Fri May 22 18:45:22 EDT 2009

Ed, I have been told by Tom of Adams County Nursery that Goldrush is less
biennial as you go further south apparently because there is more time to
store energy.  Here Goldrush stays on the tree until it is almost dormant so
the tree has no time to recover from the energy expenditure of making
babies.  I have tried all the common strategies as have all the commercial
growers up here I talk to.  Further north you just have to deal with more
biennial issues with late bearing apples.

By coincidence, I was at a site today where the Goldrush were barren after
only a moderate crop last year.  Same thing with a Brambley at the same
site, which incidentally didn't have a single fruit.