[NAFEX] Identify That Critter

Spidra Webster spidra at speakeasy.net
Tue May 19 21:00:40 EDT 2009

I know that a lot of you live in areas where you have to deal with
far more mammalian pests than I do. I don't have deer here, for
instance. Nor gophers. But something has started mauling my plants
recently and the strikes are so illogical I can't put my finger on
the culprit.

First was a grape branch (greenwood, not hardwood) that got partway
broken and stripped. Then one of my sunflowers (an edible seed kind)
was mauled with marks that made me think it has to be a mammal bigger
than a squirrel. The marks just seemed too big and drawn,and the
sunflower too stiff to easily make them. The unopened bud was gone.
It was still a week or more away from opening up.

Today I noticed a young thick avocado branch that got the same
treatment. The branch is still attached and hanging off by threads.
Which is exactly what happened with the grape and sunflower. It's
high enough up in the tree and in a location where humans are out of
the picture (humans are the mammals that usually maul my plants,
unfortunately).

Meanwhile there are ripe cherries on the trees, ripe strawberries
untouched, etc. I can't figure it out.

Mammals I know are about are raccoons, squirrels, possums and housecats.

Grape damage: http://www.flickr.com/photos/spidra/3539598428/

Sunflower damage: http://www.flickr.com/photos/spidra/3538785249/

Avocado damage: http://www.flickr.com/photos/spidra/3546789537/

If it ends up being a squirrel or something (I have definitely
sighted one or two this season), does anyone have tips for the
cheapest source of fox urine?

Megan Lynch

Berkeley, CA

CRFG, NAFEX: I'm in USDA Zone 9b