[NAFEX] mycorrhiza

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Fri May 15 13:56:48 EDT 2009

That's exactly how I use mycorrhizal inoculants; I add them after solarizing
the soil, to try to establish a presence of beneficial organisms in the
sterilized soil before pathogens can find their way back.

~ Stephen

From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Lee Reich
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2009 8:40 AM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: [NAFEX] mycorrhiza

Alan Haight recently cited a reference by Wiseman and others that showed
some benefit of mycorrhizal inoculation. Two important point emerge if you
read the actual publication:

1. The experiments were conducted in sterilized soil so the results would
not necessarily apply to field soils. Mycorrhizal inoculae generally exist
in sufficient amounts in such soils.

2. The benefits seen from inoculation was not related to the actual amount
of infection seen in roots. Something else may be going on.

Mycorrhizal associations are, no doubt, beneficial to plants. Deliberate
inoculation, especially with commercially available inoculae, are not
necessarily so.

Lee Reich, PhD

http://www.leereich.com/

Books by Lee Reich: