[NAFEX] electric fence/venom therapy

Sheridan Shumway rattler_mt at yahoo.com
Thu May 14 13:31:25 EDT 2009


ive run across this quite a bit.....i have my doubts as to how well it works.....venom is an enzyme....a protein....and i dont see how passing an electric current through the bite area is going to destroy the venom without destroying the other proteins in the area such as muscle tissue.....im guessing the vast majority of successful treatments using it are because the bites were relatively dry....lacking much venom....a snake can control how much venom it injects and not every bite gets a full, potentially lethal load of venom....

add that to the fact the vast majority of rattlesnakes in the US really arent all that dangerous unless your real young, real old or allergic to the venom....most any healthy adult who is not allergic to the venom can survive a copperhead bite with out anti venom.....the same with most of our smaller rattlesnakes though there are some exceptions such as mohave greens and the southern pacifics....eastern diamondback venom isnt particularly toxic, the snakes just get large and can inject so much that it becomes a real worry....

Sheridan S.


      



More information about the nafex mailing list