[NAFEX] Freeze or Frost?

Steve sdw12986 at aol.com
Tue May 12 00:13:45 EDT 2009

Well, the apricots are in full bloom, the plums are about half way done
opening their flowers, the pear trees are about to bloom and the apples
are still pretty tight.

The National Weather Service forecast is for a low of 23 tonight with
"Patchy Frost". The weather channel was predicting a hard freeze with a
low of 30. (I see they are now saying 26 degrees.)

Mostly I'm just complaining about the weather but my question is, how
can the NWS call 23 degrees "Patchy Frost"? Wouldn't that be a pretty
widespread frost at that temperature? Wouldn't it actually be a hard freeze?

Steve in the Adirondacks