[NAFEX] orchard ladders

Bob Randall YearRoundGardening at comcast.net
Thu Mar 26 13:10:28 EDT 2009

For home hobbyist uses where you don't need to prune over 10-11 feet,
by far the most useful ladder I have seen is the Cosco 11-003-AGY1
Work Platform Step Stool
see http://www.amazon.com/Cosco-11-003-AGY1-Work-Platform-Stool/dp/B00008Z9ZC/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1238087007&sr=1-11

It is lightweight, very durable--mine is maybe 10 years old--, easily
carried in one hand, very sturdy, and comfortable to stand on for long
periods. Costs about $120 shipped. (Though I originally bought it at a
Lowe's for about $80.)

More importantly it is very safe. In any group of 30 plus at our fruit
tree classes, there is always someone who has been treated at a
hospital for a fall from a ladder.

Bob Randall

On Mar 25, 2009, at 5:01 PM, Alan Haigh wrote:

> This is the second time in  the last 8 months the subject of orchard
> ladders came up.  I consider the adjustable ladders of the Little
> Giant design to be the safest and quickest for pruning fruit trees
> although I've not used the traditional orchard tripod ladder enough
> to be the ultimate critic.
>
> I have a protege in my home orchard business who worked over a
> decade in a commercial orchard where he pruned about 3 months a year
> using the tripod before he worked for me.  He much prefers the
> security and speed (you can step up and down either side) of the
> Little Giant design now that I introduced him to it and he never
> uses the tri for anything.

> web sites.
> permission!

> No exceptions.

"Share What You Grow and What You Know!"

Bob Randall, Ph.D.
YearRoundGardening at comcast.net
713-661-9737