[NAFEX] arctic raspberries

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Thu Mar 19 00:52:37 EDT 2009

Jukka, do you have any knowldge of Krikon Damson which I understand
originated in Sweden?

I'm interested especially in information on its fruit quality and
productivity especially compared to the standard Shropshire Damson, and
in any information on its use as a rootstock.

 From tests in Minnesota published about 1950, and from experience of
the Agriculture Canada station at Morden, Manitoba, Krikon Damson is
apparently a little more cold-hardy than our hardiest generally known
Prunus domesticas, Stanley and Mount Royal.

I would be interested in information about any other Prunus insititia of
coldhardiness comparable to Krikon Damson that are used as rootocks for
stone fruits in Sweden or Finland, or for that matter in Russia.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Jukka K wrote:
> Melissa,
>
> Similarly to cloudberry, arctic raspberry has an almost magical reputation here in Finland.

[snip]

> Jukka
> Helsinki, Finland

[snip]