[NAFEX] Box Elder Sap ( Anthony Curcio )

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Tue Mar 17 16:59:36 EDT 2009

Here it is known as Manitoba Maple. It is a great pioneer tree, like
poplar and I would't be suprised if it performs a similar nutrient pump
role. However, if you are trying to re-introduce native species to a
landscape it's an appalling pest as it jumps into every available space,
seeding into sod. You have to get on the little ones fast or they will
be a lot of trouble to remove. They sprout freely from every stump and
must be killed dead, not just cut.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada