[NAFEX] H.R. 875 more trouble from the government for small producers

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Sun Mar 15 23:31:37 EDT 2009

It's not just that.  The laws are sort of haphazard right now.  Meat
is USDA.  USDA is also responsible for stuff like encouraging
agriculture.  Peanuts are FDA.  FDA mostly cares about drugs, that's
where most of the risk and most of the money is.  Fish may be
regulated by yet another dept (or maybe it's something else, but I'm
pretty sure there are three different govt. agencies with some
oversight re food.)  People have been saying for years that it would
make more sense to have a single department in charge of food safety
instead of splitting up the job among different groups that don't care
that much about it.  As far as I can tell, H.R. 875 is mostly trying
to do just that, and not a lot more.  A reorganization of existing
govt functions.  Now, it's possible something else is lurking in
there, but no one here seems to have pointed out such details, as far
as I can tell.

Ginda