[NAFEX] Chenago Strawberry scions please

Steve sdw12986 at aol.com
Sat Mar 14 10:06:20 EDT 2009

I was going to write to Just Jim, since this is a reply to a message
that is 3 weeks old. Changed my mind...
I just wanted to mention my experience with Chenango Strawberry Apple.
(note the spelling difference) I only have 4 apple trees but 3 of them
have multiple grafts giving me at least a dozen different cultivars. The
Chenango Strawberry is the only one that froze off. Jim, my climate is
probably similar to yours with most winters getting to -30 to -35
degrees. My grafted branch survived long enough to produce 3 apples
(beautiful things) but 2 winters ago, it froze back part way. Last
winter we had a single night of -34 and last spring that branch was dead
right back to the graft.
I'm not suggesting that you don't try it but do keep in mind that it
could lack enough hardiness for your location.

Steve in the Adirondacks