[NAFEX] frozen scion wood

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 07:26:36 EDT 2009

Lon wrote, "the freezing by itself doesn't hurt the scions, but it draws
water out,
desiccating the scions.  Catch it in time and you can re-hydrate them
by soaking in water  a few hours.  Otherwise it's like you left them to
dry out".

Lon, I'm curious if you can elaborate on this advice.  Obviously a freezer
dehydrates food causing freezer burn when food is inadequately rapped.
Usually we go to great effort to protect scion wood from dehydration- double
or triple rapping wood and often including a moist rag within the outer
layer of wrap.  Wouldn't this protect wood just as well from freezer
dehydration as it does from frost free refrigeration?  Especially if we are
talking about a brief time in storage and a very short time at freezing
temps?