[NAFEX] tomato blight

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 06:49:20 EDT 2009

Yup, the media has been abuzz about tainted tomato plants and the blight
issue here in the northeast but I doubt any scientific connection exists
between the big box plants (seeds?) and the early late blight this year.
There has just been an incredible amount of rain.  I would expect my late
blight to be early with 2 straight months of rain in the double digits with
inadequate sun between storms.

Of course my property has had early blight for well over a decade so I'm
pretty sanguine at this point although my neighbor gardener says the latest
blight is a new strain and we need to rogue out any plants showing
symptoms.  I'll wait to see what happens next season to draw any
conclusions.  It was a lot more fun growing tomatoes before blight arrived,
I will say that.

Still, I'm harvesting enough for my family and have 3 healthy plants in my
unheated greenhouse to click in when the others die off.  Good thing- I
wouldn't want to rely on farmers markets for tomatoes this year.