[NAFEX] Canadice grape vine doesn't fruit

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Mon Jul 20 10:57:06 EDT 2009

If it's a nutrient imbalance it's one specific to grapes.  The lawn, raspberries, apricot, garlic, daffodils, and thyme that grow within a few feet of the grapevine are all flourishing, and are all fruitful.  (well, usually I mow the lawn before seeds ripen, but it certainly does its part.)

The asparagus is not thriving, but there's some asparagus disease common in the soil around here.  Also, it really wants full sun.

-- GindaLon J. Rombough wrote:

It still sounds like a nutrient imbalance, or possible something toxic
in the environment.  I don't know of any disease or insect that would
selectively remove flower clusters that way.

That makes it likely that a replanted vine could have the same problem
unless you can locate and correct it.

If you are going to remove it, dig down to where the roots come off
the bottom of the trunk.  That will be where they came out of the
bottom of the original cutting.  Cut the roots a couple of inches out
from the trunk and take out the vine.  The roots are unable to sprout
new shoots and will die, though they can stay alive in the soil up to
four years.

Without knowing the cause of your problem, I hesitate to recommend any
grape for replanting.

-Lon Rombough

NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html
View a short, low resolution clip here:
0000,0000,EEEEhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M

Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower,
at http://www.bunchgrapes.com  Winner of the Garden Writers
Association "Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.

A video about The Grape Grower :
Verdana0000,0000,EEEEhttp://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/

I've had this Canadice grape vine for years, and I've only
gotten fruit

once.  In every other year, it grows flower buds, and then they abort

and fall off without blooming.  I've attached a photo of one that fell

off at the bottom of this post.

Lon suggested it might be too much nitrogen (the vine abuts the lawn,

which gets corn gluten every spring and fall) and I wonder if the

problem might be aggravated by less-than-full sunlight.  It only gets

few hours of direct sunlight, and gets light high shade the rest of
the day.

The one year that it did fruit, the fruit was good, but didn't knock
my

socks off.  It tasted a little better than good grapes at the

supermarket, but not nearly as good as my uncle's "New York Muscat",
nor

as interesting as plain old Concord.  So I want to give up on it and
try

something else.

Here are my questions:

1)  Can I plant another grape where a grape was?

2)  What's the best way of removing this one to make way for a new
one?

 Or should I try to graft?

3)  Any other ideas what the problem is?

4)  What cultivars might be less susceptible to this problem, and
taste

better than supermarket grapes?

No exceptions.

NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/