[NAFEX] Northern cherry damage

R F Hollaus hollaus at comcast.net
Mon Jul 6 12:40:49 EDT 2009

Northerners,

I have heard of the kind of damage done that Jim Fruth was talking
about in Alaska.  The temperature charts from this past winter
indicate -35F average temps the week before +40F and rain came on
January 17.  Pat Holloway who teaches botany at the Fairbanks
university was out in the test yards during the first week of summer
break surveying all the damage.  She noted that it was the worst
winterkill year.  Even to things that live within 6" of the ground.
At that time Pin cherry and Ussurrian plum plots were just starting up
and continued into full bloom in spite of this.
I will forward you another report about cherries that I wrote over a
month ago.  In short, I grew a dozen 'C-Passion' cherries (crosses
between northstar & hardy ground cherry) in silt/organic soil, which
caused late hardening off so all trees killed above the soil line (now
regrowing suckers).  A nursery in North Pole Alaska was able to do a
bit better than I did with CP and with 'C-Jewel' most of his survived,
if not all of them.