[NAFEX] Seeking seeds for Aport apple

Claude Jolicoeur cjoli at gmc.ulaval.ca
Tue Feb 3 14:17:17 EST 2009

Deb,
My wife is from Alma-Ata the ancient capital of Kazakhstan...
She thinks the Alexander apples we can get here are very close to the Aport
apples she had over there - these were her favorite apples at the time and
every year I have to go at the market to find the rare grower who has some
Alexander until my own tree starts production.

She does think there is some slight difference - but it is hard to say if
this difference is genetic (i.e. different varieties) or from the terroir,
as the same variety grown in different places will give slightly different
apples.

In any case, if you planted seeds from an original kazhak Aport apple, you
would not get the real thing anyway - planting an Alexander tree is
probably a better bet.

Claude Jolicoeur,
Quebec.