[NAFEX] Can I freeze chestnuts to plant for next year

mIEKAL aND qazingulaza at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 09:58:40 EST 2009

I have about 10 lbs of chestnuts stratified in my fridge & they are
getting a mold that has lots of red color in it.  I even washed them
off once & put them back in bags with peat but the mold which is
extremely sticky to the touch is coming back again.  Does anyone know
if I can freeze these & get similar germination rates of +90%?  In the
five or so years I've been collecting nuts from my trees I've never
seen mold on the nuts before.  Or maybe mold wouldn't be an issue...