[NAFEX] how grafts connect

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 19:29:12 EDT 2009

Wow, so none of you knows whether it's the scion or the tree or both that
generates the  tissue that connects a graft.  Or did you overlook that
question?  The presumption would be that it is the tree and that's why the
scion is kept dormant- so it doesn't dry out before the tissue from the tree
side forms a vascular hook up.  But then I wonder why so many people have
good success with scion wood that was never stored and is cut from a tree
beginning active growth and grafted on the same day or a bit later to
another tree in active growth.

Have I uncovered a great myth about the requirements for grafting efficacy?