[NAFEX] Why pick less than ripe Ure Pears?

Jim Fruth jfruth at tds.net
Tue Sep 23 10:10:04 EDT 2008

    Following someone's post about picking pears before they get tree
ripened and putting them in cold storage, I picked my Ure Pears when they
first began changing color.  Apparently I missed some and they fell off the
tree two weeks later.  Wishing to learn how tree-ripening affected stone
cell production, I bit into several finding they are the best tasting pears
I have ever eaten.  There was an acceptable, tiny bit of grit in the peel
but the flesh was wonderful.  Henceforth I'll let them ripen on the tree.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: