[NAFEX] late season fruit for the SE

David Consolvo fruitopia at firstva.com
Thu Sep 18 22:31:26 EDT 2008

Asian and American persimmons.  Some types of Americans don't really ripen until
Xmas here in central Virginia.  (Ripening at first frost is a myth -- ripening times
vary with each variety).

Fuzzy kiwifruit, formerly "Chinese gooseberry" (Actinidia deliciosa, formerly
Actinidea chinensis).  An early ripening type barely ripens by November here in
central Virginia before getting frozen.  The standard variety Hayward might be just
right for central North Carolina.  A frost-protected site would help to get the
young vines started.

~David Consolvo
Hungrytown, Virginia