[NAFEX] Passiflora incarnata cloning

John S swim_at_svc at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 12 23:54:01 EDT 2008

Not mentioned previously is another method of propagating incarnata that I routinely do.  During the first half of the summer, incarnata will send up a lot of root shoots all over the place.  I wait for them to get about 10", then grasp firmly near the bottom of the shoot.  A uniform pulling will bring the shoot up with about 4 - 6" of underground shoot (appears white)  I routinely pull these shoots to keep the plants where I want them.

If immediately potted up and watered (or transplanted and watered), then watered regularly you will have a nice plant identical to the parent.  This works also during the latter half of the summer, but you may want to keep on a window sill or in a greenhouse for planting out the next year.  Indoors the new plants are not demanding.  Very easy to clone this way.

John