[NAFEX] Euro plums in Kentucky

Ed Fackler ed.fackler at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 07:38:11 EDT 2008

Dear NAFEX:

     European plums can and will grow in KY as will Japanese hybrids.
However as Alan mentioned they all are susceptible to the common collection
of pests especially brown rot and curculio.  I've grown many, many varieties
of both just north and west of Louisville, KY for many years and some
European types are quite wonderful (Fr. Petite, Sannois and Alabaster were
possibly my favorites).  The one thing which applies to plums (and all other
tree fruits) is the annual need to heavily thin fruits which no one seems to
want to do or understand.  Also I'm not real sure a "spray or 2" will
control either curculio or brown rot in this extremely hot/humid climate.
Now I use 6-8 sprays per season in a "home orchard" situation and this is
cutting it to the minimum.

     Hope this helps.

ed