[NAFEX] Asian pear recipes and preservation

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Wed Sep 10 13:14:42 EDT 2008

> This is the first year that my Asian Pear has produced and it was a
> bumper crop!  Now I am trying to find a way to use them and to save
> the wonderful taste to enjoy throughout the winter.  Has anyone had
> eperience with cooking, freezing, canning them?

Congratulations!

I can't help you with recipes, but one of the reasons I planted Asian
pears was because they're supposed to keep so well. I suppose it depends
on the variety, but I've heard they'll keep for months in the
refrigerator vegetable crisper (or, probably, in plastic bags in the
regular section of the refrigerator). That's assuming you have the room,
of course.

I can't say from personal experience. This was my first year with fruit,
too, but I got four pears off one tree (not quite ripe yet) and one off
another. Not exactly anything needing storage! :-)

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
In Dr. Johnson's famous dictionary, patriotism is defined as the last
resort of a scoundrel. With all due respect to an enlightened but