[NAFEX] alum in odorous Autumn olive?

Hank Burchard hank at burchard.org
Sat Sep 6 17:29:36 EDT 2008

Alan, I must live in a parallel universe, because my Autumn
olives/Autumnberries have a very pleasant but fugitive fragrance that is
underwhelming even downwind from a row of them in full bloom. And while
the berries do indeed tend to be puckery unless dead ripe, your
statement that they have high levels of alum is news to me; I don't
recall ever seeing alum mentioned in even very detailed analyses of the
fruit.

However, supposing your comment about Hidden Springs's cultivars is
accurate, how does that make them unsuitable for juice or jelly? I've
never made preserves from them because the fruit is too soft, but the
juice and jelly are delicious. I make at least six and often more than a
dozen cases of Autumnberry jelly every year, and generally by late
spring I've been cleaned out by friends, family and the patrons of the
bed & breakfast across the way. I'm still waiting for my first complaint.

Hank Burchard
Pecker Wood Farm
7b central Virginia

\