[NAFEX] cornus kousa

John S swim_at_svc at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 3 22:58:36 EDT 2008

Kurt,

Around here, the kousa's are considered just a decorative dogwood.  I had to mail order my Big Apple.  So far, I am not overly impressed by the size of the fruit.  It's only slightly bigger than the other more common kousa's at the local nurseries.

I do not consider the pith inside the fruit as the edible portion, for me, there is a clear jell coating around the hard seeds contained in the pith that has an excellent flavor, but very little to consume.  If there was a way of increasing that portion of the fruit, or extracting it or its flavor, then I think we would have something. I am hoping that with time the fruit size of my 5' tree will increase and after hearing about yours, I' also hoping that the pith will improve.  I guess I should ask if you are sure that flavor is coming from the pith or the seed coating in the pith?

John