[NAFEX] Lemon juice sub

Richard Moyer ramoyer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 00:18:17 EST 2008

Doug,
We use the juice of Chaenomeles quince; we are steam extracting and canning
a batch today.  A number of homes grow them as an ornamental, so the round
fruit is free for the asking in the fall.  On our own plants, we get much
higher production with crosspollination.  Our favorite cultivar is Toyo
Nishiki, from Hidden Springs Nursery.

The very sour juice keeps for months in the fridge, or years on the shelf
when canned.  Doesn't sub for all lemon juice recipes, but we use it for a
number of them.
Richard Moyer
SW VA  Enjoying kakis

Doug wrote:
While everyone is contemplating their reply to Jerry, can anyone
recommend crabapple cultivars (or any other fruit source of juice)
useful as a temperate zone substitute for lemons?

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada