[NAFEX] importing seeds

Sheridan Shumway rattler_mt at yahoo.com
Thu May 29 16:26:53 EDT 2008

my understanding, having recieved carnivorous plant
seeds from all over the world is that that while
technically illegal customs and the Department of Ag
arent terribly interested in trying to prevent small
quantities of seed going from one individual to
another. if you ask 10 different Department of Ag(or
Customs, i forget which as i exchanged phone calls on
this 3 or so years ago) people about it you will get
10 slightly different answers but the general feeling
is a few seeds going from an individual in someplace
like Australia to the US is not something they are
going to really look at. soil or sprouted material
other than tissue culture vials was a big no-no
though. i had a friend get nailed with huge fines
cause the guy sending the stuff didnt complete the
proper paper work like he had told my buddy. since he
was the one that received the plants he is the one
that got nailed with the fine....

Sheridan Shumway
northeast Montana
zone 3/4