[NAFEX] Thinning

Mark Dorogi mddorogi at comcast.net
Tue May 27 22:14:27 EDT 2008

Thanks Dennis for the very good information.

I can't possibly imagine thinning to two or three per cluster.  I've been
thinning to one and then remove quite a few clusters completely to keep some
reasonable spacing.  I just finished another 100 bags in that tree and now I
think I'll end up with close to 500 altogether.

If I ended up with even half that many apples, I'd have to sell or give them
away.  Usually things happen over the summer, wind, hail, neighbor kids,
etc, so I don't get anywhere near as many as I hope for.

I did notice some PC damage tonight and found one weevil poised on an apple.
While it is cold, they are out there, and past experience has taught me that
a lot of damage can occur quickly.

So I think that tomorrow morning I'll do a malathion spray (all us
homeowners can really use) to knock the PC back a bit.  I probably won't be
able to do more bagging until the weekend given my work schedule.

Mark

SE Michigan

  _____