[NAFEX] Asian pear frost damage

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Sat May 24 07:03:22 EDT 2008

How is it that the subject of poke-weed, a definite non-fruit, has excited
members to such numerous response and there was not a single reply to my
question about Asian pear frost hardiness?  I know a lot of you grow this
fruit and I'm wondering if any of you has some ballpark figure for its'
relative spring frost hardiness.

We hit about 28 degrees F. shortly after pedal-fall for peaches, Jap. plums
and A. pears and it seems that of these only the A. pears lost their crop.
It also seems to have knocked off most of the apricots in the area.  In
previous years softer frosts have not caused problems and we've had a good
run on A. pear production here in Z. 6 southeastern NY.