[NAFEX] TriLite OK in Zone 6

V. Michael Bove Jr. vmb at teakettlefarm.com
Thu May 15 14:58:43 EDT 2008

Of course the sample size is small and your results might vary, but
the TriLite peach-plum cross I planted last year has flowered (in
between the myrobalan plums and the peaches) and seems to be setting a
couple of fruit.  This despite Raintree saying it's hardy only to zone
7.

Some other things left in the ground over winter that did and didn't
make it: small-leaf tea (unprotected) is doing fine.  Citrandarin
(wrapped in burlap) has some green cambium left on lower branches but
looks awfully sad.  A notable thing is that the citrandarin didn't
lose its leaves or go fully dormant in fall, while a potted citrumelo
that I'm told is hardy to Z7 drops its leaves in November whether I
leave its pot outside (which I usually do till mid-Dec.) or put it in
the cold greenhouse.  I wonder whether that one would be a better bet
for growing outdoors with a small amount of protection...

Michael Bove
Teakettle Farm, Zone 6 (MA/RI border)