[NAFEX] Beyond the McIntosh

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Wed May 7 21:40:21 EDT 2008

My apologies if this has already been posted:  The Atlantic Monthly
has a nice piece this month profiling John Bunker.  It's this month's
"food" article:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200805/apples

One man’s mission to save abandoned (and glorious) apples by helping
people plant for the future

BY CORBY KUMMER
Beyond the McIntosh

"There’s the joint,” John Bunker said, pointing to a neat line
circling what looked like a long twig on an apple tree. The line,
which marked the most recent year’s growth, would have been invisible
to me. Once he pointed it out, the deep mulberry red of the scion
wood, as the new growth is called, was indeed distinct from the
increasingly dulled chestnut of the twig, branch, and trunk. . .