[NAFEX] goddam environmental researchers

mangodance bmn at iglou.com
Fri Jun 27 01:00:34 EDT 2008

Alan Haigh wrote:

> I reckon researchers in general are like all people in general.  We tend
> to exaggerate the importance of our own work- only researchers are under
> even more pressure to sell their "discoveries" as something dramatic and
> in the glysphosphate nonsense the researcher heralded his results
> as "shocking".  That description is so over the top I had to laugh.
> This is a man undoubtedly hot on the trail of funding for his next
> brilliant experiment.  How 'bout a quart of motor oil in the fish tank.
> My god, the devastation to those poor little tadpoles would be horrifying!

Now Alan, I'd have thought that inflammatory titles and over-the-top
knee jerk reactions were a thing of the past.  Stephen's quote, "...but
the reporting, as science reporting by non-scientists often is, was
over-simplified and lacked specificity." is dead-on.  As one of those
who would be damned, I can tell you that in 25+ years, I have NEVER been
quoted well by the media, nor have I had a single re-telling of a story
represented in the way in which it was offered.  I don't know about the
case here as I have not seen the original work.  But this list has
already seen a knee-jerk reaction and well...talk about over-the-top.

...yours from the fires....