[NAFEX] Missing Jap beetles?

Anton Callaway marillen at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 21 15:06:57 EDT 2008

We still have plenty O'beetles, neighbor.

In fact, I've spent the last two mornings spraying while they defoliate the cherries and quinces.  Maybe fresh Bull-Eye (spinosad) would be more effective, but the 3-year old stuff I used (at 3X concentration the last time) failed to do anything to them.  Next was pyrethrin/rotenone.  The pyrethrins gave a quick knockdown, but this combo didn't kill a single beetle.  This morning, Malathion.  We'll see, but after 2 hours, I see no significant death.

I've only managed to treat about 20% of the yard with milky spore, so that may be the difference in our observations.

Anton
North Carolina, Zone 8