[NAFEX] paint to deter peach borers?

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 13:57:54 EDT 2008

Latex paint can deter peach trunk borer?  This is hard to believe given all
the more arduous methods I've heard over the years to control this difficult
pest (moth balls, fine screen etc.).  That also goes for paint vole
control.  I can't see why the commercial growers out here would go to all
the trouble and expense of placing bait under shingles and additionally
wrapping their youngest trees with plastic guards if all they had to do was
swab the base with some white paint.

A little squirt of Lorsban does wonders for borer control but it is now
restricted.

So what gives?  Is anyone out there aware of any research about this
phenominal latex paint efficacy?