[NAFEX] ant colonization of containers

Dianne Stephany iluvdanc at rochester.rr.com
Mon Jun 9 11:53:20 EDT 2008

HI,  When I take house plants out on the patio during the summer I use diatomatous earth as a dirt topping--any ant or insect that walks on it or tries to dig through it will get tiny little cuts in its exoskeleton that cause it to "bleed" to death. You can find it at Loews, probably Home Depot also. The one that I have also has bait, so you might want to circle around the outside of the plant pot to prevent them from even getting to the plant.

I started this when I would have Thrips colonize my potted plants on the patio - no thrips anymore; never did have ants.

Good Luck.
Dianne Stephany, zone 5 where we are in a 4 day heat wave of 92 degrees and 80% humidity. It is supposed to rain Tuesday and we expect the temps to go back to a seasonal 74..