[NAFEX] Planting trees 2-3' apart

Jim Fruth jfruth at tds.net
Wed Jun 4 10:01:21 EDT 2008

    About a dozen or so years ago, a fellow from the South Eastern Minnesota
Apple Industry (I forgot his name) wrote a book/pamphlet called, "Plant them
tight and manage them right."   In it he extolled the benefits of close
spacing of apple trees, like 4' apart.  Because of the (claimed) benefits, I
was almost ready to start ordering trees, but, thinking the better of it, I
decided I wanted to confront him with a few questions.  During our phone
conversation, he happened to mention that he was talking about columnar
apple trees, a fact that he hadn't mentioned in his book.  Oh joy!  I wonder
how many folks followed his advice without knowing what type of tree he
wrote about.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472