[NAFEX] winter moths?

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Sun Jun 1 11:04:21 EDT 2008

It is very localized, although of course it might spread.  U-Mass extension
has a lot about it.  I am smack in the center of it's Massachusetts range
right now.

It's not just an issue for fruit trees.  It also likes several common shade
trees such as oak, and to a lesser extent, maple.  I've seen (local) trees
completely defoliated by winter moth, and in november the emerging moths
are sometimes so numerous around my (commuter-rail) train station in the
evening that people bat them away from their faces.

Although all the literature says they also attack blueberries, I have
blueberries all over the place, including wild ones growing directly
beneath my (affected) oaks, and have never noticed winter moths or their
characteristic damage on them.  And they have a strong preference for my
domestic apples over native crab apples.  I have several branches of
domestic apple grafted to a crab, and despite spraying I always see moths
and damage to the domestic apples, and little damage to the crab part of
the same tree - even in years when I ran low on spray and only treated the
domestic apple portion of the tree.
___
Ginda