[NAFEX] Off-topic (but not really) E-Mail Ettiquette

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Wed Jan 30 20:29:48 EST 2008

The letter below was such a good refresher in using e-mail, especially
if you are on a discussion list, it was worth passing along.

Hello all:

The "Network Administrator of the corporation" below asked that I not
give out personal name or company.  I guarantee that the person is real
and the company is real.  The advice is also excellent - particularly
for those not yet familiar with the capability mentioned::::

This is advice from a Network Administrator responsible for all of the
computers at a very large corporation.
It is an excellent message that ABSOLUTELY applies to ALL of us who
send emails.  Please read the short letter below, even if you're sure
you already follow proper procedures.
Do you really know how to forward emails?
50% of us do; 50% DO NOT.

Do you wonder why you get viruses or junk mail? Do you hate it?  Every
time you forward an email there is information left over from the
people who got the message before you, namely their email addresses and
names.  As the messages get forwarded along, the list of addresses
builds, and builds, and builds, and all it takes is for some poor sap
to get a virus, and his or her computer can send that virus to every
email address that has come across his computer. Or, someone can take
all of those addresses and sell them or send junk mail to them in the
hopes that you will go to the site and he will make five cents for each
hit.  That's right, all of that inconvenience over a nickel!  How do
you stop it?  Well, there are several easy steps.
Try the following if you haven't done it before:

1)   When you forward an email, DELETE all of the other addresses that
appear in the body of the message (at the top).  That's right, DELETE
them.  Highlight them and delete them, backspace them, cut them,
whatever it is you know how to do.  It only takes a second.   You MUST
click the 'Forward' button first and then you will have full editing
capabilities against the body and headers of the message.  If you don't
click on 'Forward' first, you won't be able to edit the message at all.

2)   Whenever you send an email to more than one person, do NOT use the
To: or Cc: fields for adding email addresses.  Always use the
BCC:(blind carbon copy) field for listing ALL the email addresses.
 This is the way the people you send to will only see their own email
address.  If you don't see your BCC: option click on where it says To:
and your address list will appear.  Highlight the address and choose
BCC: and that's it, it's that easy.  When you send to BCC: your message
will automatically say 'Undisclosed Recipients in the 'TO:' field of
the people who receive it.

(3)  Remove any 'FW :' in the subject line.  You can re-name the
subject if you wish or even fix spelling.

(4)   ALWAYS hit your Forward button from the actual email you are
reading .  Ever get those emails that you have to open 10 pages to read
the one page with the information on it?  By Forwarding from the actual
page you wish someone to view, you stop them from having to open many
emails just to see what you sent.

(5)   Have you ever gotten an email that is a petition?   It states a
position and asks you to add your name and address and to forward it to
10 or 15 people or your entire address book.  The email can be
forwarded on and on and can collect thousands of names and email
addresses. A FACT: The completed petition is actually worth a couple of
bucks to a professional spammer because of the wealth of valid names
and email addresses contained therein.   DO NOT put your email address
on any petition.  If you want to support the petition, send it as your
own personal letter to the intended recipient.  Your position may carry
more weight as a personal letter than a laundry list of names and email
addresses on a petition.   (And don't believe the ones that say that
the email is being traced; it just ain't so!)  ACTUAL FACT: Most e-mail
petitions are worthless because they do not fully identify the signer
by street address, etc. nor does it prove that the signer really signed
it. Do not forward them.

Some of the other emails to delete and not forward are:

a. The one that says something like, 'Send this email to 10 people and
you'll see something great run across your screen.'  Or sometimes
they'll just tease you by saying 'something really cute will
happen.' IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!!!!  (No matter how many people you
send it to or how long you wait.... IT AIN'T GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!!!!! We
are still seeing some of the same emails that we waited on 10 years
ago!)

b. I don't let the bad luck ones scare me either, they should get
trashed.

 c. Before you forward an 'Amber Alert' , or a 'Virus Alert' , or some
of the other emails floating around nowadays, check them out before you
forward them.  Most of them are junk mail that's been circling the net
for YEARS!  Just about everything you receive in an email that is in
question can be checked out at Snopes.  Just go to www.snopes.com  .
 It's really easy to find out if it's real or not.
If it's not, please don't pass it on.

So please, in the future, let's stop the junk mail and the viruses.
Also get rid of the advertisements at the bottom of your emails! You
pay for your internet why advertise free for them? If they want
advertisement let them pay you to use your space!!!!
Finally, here's an idea!!!

Let's send this to everyone we know ( but strip my address off first,
please).  This is something that SHOULD be forwarded, so do it.