[NAFEX] beach plum

Ernest Plutko ernestplutko at wiktel.com
Tue Jan 29 19:53:38 EST 2008

About eight years ago I found several Canada plum trees Prunus nigra
growing near St Paul, Minnesota and dug up eight seedlings and
planted them in my yard in northern Minnesota.  The plums grew
rapidly but six died from fungus in a few years.  Last fall I had a
bumper crop of Canada plums on the surviving two plum trees.  Last
summer I found a small thicket of American plums growing on woodland
I own.  Never knew they were there.  I think both plums are excellent
for pies but I like the taste of the American plums a little better.
I see beach plum trees Prunus maritana for sale.  Do these have a
good taste and are they worth buying?  I'm wondering if they will
survive inland far from the shore.