[NAFEX] What are the most vigorous pear cultivars

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Sun Jan 27 20:56:34 EST 2008

The Old Home I have is grafted on Crataegus douglasii.  That species
was tested as a semi-dwarfing stock by Dr. Mel Westwood some years ago.
  It works well except that it suckers too much when the soil is
cultivated (that cuts shallow roots, which send up suckers).  Bartlett
and Fall Butter pears are about 15 feet high on that hawthorn, while
the Old Home is more than double that height.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.